Established January 2009

Monday, May 18, 2009

Beyond The Rainbow















































Today I decided to go do some small stream fishing and look for some wild Rainbow Trout. To do this, I decided Pendleton County was going to be the destination of choice. I arrived in the Seneca Rocks area at about 2pm planning on fishing until dark. I first began on a small tributary of a tributary of the North Fork of the South Branch of the Potomac. This particular drainage was a hot bed of a plethora of insect life, running through a very rich limestone bed, just teaming with wild rainbows and brook trout. Shortly after I had begun, I began picking up a few fish. I had landed 3 rainbows and 1 brook trout on the first stream. Having to choose my time wisely, I pressed on. I arrived tributary #2 to find the much of the same setting as the first stream. Mayflies, Stoneflies, Caddis, and Midges were coming off everywhere. I began fishing my way up the narrow stream. Quickly I began bringing fish to hand. I had caught 3 rainbows and 3 more brook trout. Now, on my way to tributary #3. I took a lunch break when I got to this stream, and only decided to fish a couple of spots on the this creek. I caught a very nice rainbow for this stream, it was about 11''. I had to leave this creek so that I could go meet Grant. Grant and I had decided to meet at 6pm so we could do some evening fishing. We headed over to the N. Fork of the S. Branch Potomac so that I could catch a fallfish. I tied on a #8 BH Slumpbuster and after a few casts, I caught a very nice 15'' rainbow. Quickly after, I was hooked up into my first and only 2 fallfish, followed by a smallmouth thrown into the mix. Grant and I headed back upstream into the drainage I had been fishing all afternoon. Grant was broke off by something he said was about 16 or 17''. Not too long after that he hooked and caught a WV bonefish (sucker) and several nice rainbows and a couple of brookies. I brought another 4 rainbows and 1 brook to hand to finish up the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment